Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- chorizo, or use store-bought
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 lb ground pork(450 g)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 corn tortillas, preferably fresh
- 8 oz shredded cheese(225 g), such as mozzarella, queso Oaxaca, or cheddar
- pickle, for serving
- 4 early girl tomatoes, quartered
- 8 habanada peppers, steam removed
- 10 cloves garlic
- olive oil, for drizzling
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced
- If making the chorizo, in the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the paprika, cumin, ancho chile powder, chili powder, oregano, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, ground pork, vinegar, and garlic. Mix until well combined.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the chorizo and cook until the fat has rendered and the chorizo is crisp. Remove from the pan using a slotted spoon and discard the excess fat.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the tortillas, then top with the chorizo.
- Return the tortillas to the pan and cook until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crisp, 3–4 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa: Coat the tomatoes, peppers, and garlic with olive oil and salt, then spread on a baking sheet. Roast under the broiler for 5–10 minutes, until charred in spots.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to a blender and purée until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice and season with more salt to taste.
- Serve the taco-quesadillas with salsa and pickles.